Coffee & Compliance Latest Episodes: “Ramblings About ERISA Preemption” and “Closing Out 2021 & Getting Ready For 2022”
Listen as our hosts discuss ERISA preemption followed by a discussion of what plan sponsors need to focus on as they close out 2021 and prepare for 2022.
Ramblings About ERISA Preemption
The Research and Compliance team discusses ERISA preemption, how it’s played out with state laws in the past and where it could go in the future. Topics covered include:
- How does ERISA preemption help plan sponsors?
- Why isn’t the question of whether a state law is preempted an easy question to answer?
- What can a plan sponsor do to help navigate the patchwork of state laws that may or may not be preempted?
Closing Out 2021 & Getting Ready For 2022
The team discusses the different tasks and considerations plan sponsors need to do to cleanly close out their 2021 and how to put their best foot forward in 2022. Topics covered include:
- Updating §125 plans for COVID-19 related changes, if necessary, by 12/21/21
- W-2 aggregate cost of coverage reporting and prepping for 1094-C and 1095-C reporting
- Why it may be helpful to get plan amendments out ahead of time
Listen and earn 1.0 SHRM credit